Thursday, January 18, 2007

Costa Rica - Part 1

We arrived in Costa Rica on Tuesday the 16th. As fate would have it, we had met a young Costa Rican couple, Anthony and Isabel, on the little island in Belize. Anthony was kind enough to invite us to stay with his family just outside of San Jose for a night. We actually arrived before Anthony and Isa and were surprised to find his mom, Chlo, and one of his brothers waiting on the corner near their house for us (this was after we gave the taxi driver a piece of paper with some obscure directions on it since there are no street names in Central Valley, Costa Rica). Chlo doted over us and fed us way too much food while we were there..it was a nice break from hotels and hostels. Tuesday night Isa and Anthony took us out to the bars and taught us really important slang (haha, yea right) and showed us a great time. Isa doesn´t speak much english so we taught her important sayings like ¨party foul¨ and other choice phrases. We left Wednesday afternoon, Isa gave me a necklace and a nickname, Vane (va-nĂ©: what most Costa Ricans nickname Vanessas), as parting gifts and Anthony´s mom welcomed us back any time.

On the way out of town, Ryan and I went to a coffee plantation in Heredia called Cafe Britt. The tour was totally offbeat and theatrical...you can imagine I had a great time as I have not been drinking nearly as much coffee as usual.

Cafe Britt Coffee Plantation

Ryan wearing the sweet prize he got for being the best man in a fake wedding ceremony that was part of our tour (haha, don´t ask)

I´m definitely my mother´s daughter!

The wackiest tour guides on the face of the earth!

I really don´t think we could explain to anyone just how crazy our tour/presentation was. This is Marie Antoinette and Louis deciding whether or not they like coffee. It was history with a comedic twist.

At Cafe Britt we met two English friends, Bridget and Angus (haha, mom I thought of you and laughed when he told me his name), that helped us make our way back to the buses to get to San Jose to the main bus station (I´m pretty sure I will have had my fill of bus rides when our trip is over).

2 comments:

Dunia said...

The nickname you were given I have been calling my niece since she was a baby but I spell it Vany, wierd huh! :o) The pictures look great mija, Jaiver said the very first pictures you sent of the Senora (the hostel you stayed at) looks just like his abuelita. He said the town looks like Poreparo, Michoacan where his families from.

Unknown said...

I assume that coffee bag is my souvenir?