Monday, April 30, 2007

Rest in Peace Meekcoms

Today I found out that a friend passed away in a very sad plane crash. I'm not going to recount the tragedy, but you can find it here. All I can say is that at least they were able to meet the new member of their family and at least they were together, may they rest in peace.

I was supposed to see Alex before I came down here...we got too busy. Now of course I really regret not MAKING the time to make it happen. She had just moved back to AZ.

I wanted to take a sec to jot down some of my memories of Alex:
-Yelling, "Meekoms!" down the hall at school and remembering she was supposed to be a teacher and an "adult figure." BAH!
-Her teasing me in the weight room about my "perky buns" and how she needed to get in gear to get hers back to "vball status" and she SURE did!
-She would always pop my hip back into place before games senior year when I went gimp status.
-Pulling me aside for pep talks when I felt like the worst setter in the world...and giving me a slap on the butt and a huge smile as I walked away rolling my eyes at her.
-Her stupid, disgusting joke about "the eyesh! the eyesh!"
-Some of the funniest memories are from when she came with us as our coach to club vball tournaments. In Texas she cooly reacted with, "Hey Jimminy" to a huge cricket that had landed on her shoulder and after that she chased a possum down the street.
-The best was the car ride back from California with Alex, Jenny, and Gena. Talk about the fastest drive EVER...that's what happens when you're cracking up the entire time.
-She took like a week to write us vball girls a poem to read at our vball banquet...it was nerdy and made fun of us but it really meant a lot.
To know Alex was to know serious laughter and fun. She will be missed. I can't even put into words what it will be like to go visit vball camp and not make fun of her sweet nikes that match her top or how she could look so hot while teaching a bunch of whiney kids to play.





Everyone please stay safe.

1 comment:

Carito said...

Hola Vanessa!

Thanks for your post. Yes, I do hold back more and more each passing
day because my priorities in life are changing, and it's now time for
me to look for a more affluent lifestyle which was affordable a while back but not anymore. In other words, I need to ake more cash!!!!

And no, I'm no longer a Fulbrighter. My deal ended in 2003.

Y tú? Qué haces por acá? I quickly looked at your blog but haven't gone into it deep enough. I'll get back to it when I'm out of this crazy work week.

Beijos

Carito